Since 2015, Tesla has been manufacturing the much loved Tesla Model X. Model X is a mid-size luxury SUV, which like all the other Tesla models, is powered by electrical batteries.
One thing that makes the Tesla Model X the center of attention is its Falcon doors. But being unique doesn’t protect the Tesla Model X from a few system glitches. These glitches can interfere with your Tesla’s Model X Falcon doors from opening all the way.
Why My Tesla X Falcon Doors Won’t Open?
Confused about why you are locked out of your own car? There might be times when the Tesla doors won’t open automatically making you fret about what might be wrong with your car.
Before we move towards problem-solving, it is important to dive a little deeper into each of the issues.
1. Low Key Fob Battery
The key fob is a functional key that is important for almost all the basic functions of your Tesla. When the battery of a key fob dies or runs low, it can lead to door-related issues.
2. Dead Car Battery
A Tesla X depends upon the 12V battery for its functionality. The low car battery can interfere with the basic functions of Tesla X.
3. Door Actuator Issues
Door actuators is an electric component that is responsible for opening and closing the car door.
Note: Many Ford users have also reported door actuator issues. Read Ford F150 blend door actuator reset to know more.
4. Faulty Tesla Wing Calibration
Falcon wing calibration is a system that teaches the door control system where the upper and lower door limits are.
5. Insufficient Distance
The Tesla doors are designed to not open whenever they access an obstacle near it.
How To Open Tesla Model X Falcon Doors?
Now that I’ve told you all about the possible reasons behind this issue. Let’s set right into the process of solving the issue. Here’s what you can do:
1. Revive The Key Fob Battery
- Remove the battery from the key fob.
- Place the battery on the floor.
- Now hammer the battery with a hard object. Keep in mind that 2 to 3 hits are enough. Take special care to not hammer the battery hard enough to destroy it.
- Put the battery back in its place.
Let me make it clear that this is a temporary method for an emergency and you will eventually need to get the battery replaced with a newer one.
2. Replace The Key Fob Battery
- Turn the key fob upside down.
- Now remove the base cover of the key fob with something flat.
- Remove the old battery and dispose of it extremely carefully.
- Replace this older battery with a newer “CR2354” one. Be sure the + sign faces upwards.
- Press down to make sure that the battery is placed accurately.
- Align the key fob cover and press it back into its place until you hear a click sound.
3. Recalibrate The Tesla Falcon Wing Doors
This is how you can recalibrate the Falcon wing doors:
- Get inside your Tesla and close the doors.
- Put your Tesla in park mode.
- Click on the touchscreen of your Tesla and go to Controls > Service > Falcon Wing Doors.
- Now follow the on-screen introductions to start the calibration process.
Note: Look at the video below to get a better understanding of the troubleshooting process.
4. Set A New GPS Lock
- Press the falcon door handle to start the door-opening process.
- Release the door halfway.
- On the right-side pillar of the passenger door, look for the Falcon wing door physical button. For the driver’s side, this button is located on the left side pillar.
- Click and hold this button for 5 to 8 seconds.
5. Reset Your Tesla
This method is especially useful when you doubt that the issue may be due to a system glitch. Here’s how you can do it:
- Press and hold both the scroll keys on the steering wheel for about 20 seconds.
- When the Tesla logo appears on the screen, release the keys.
- Wait for the touchscreen to restart and then go to “Safety & Security“.
- Tap the “Power Off” button.
6. Contact Tesla Support
For bigger problems such as a faulty wing door actuator or calibration, I recommend you take your car to a Tesla support center. Get the issue fixed by a professional so that there is no additional damage done to your car.
Note: Interested in such troubleshooting guides? You might also want to know why your Tesla navigation not working.
No matter how unique Tesla’s falcon wing doors are, dealing with any of their problems is a real headache. To save you from all the frustration, I have compiled a detailed troubleshooting guide.
Hope this guide helped you with your troubles and gave you all the information you were looking for!